Friday, August 21, 2009

Organic Lasagna Recipe

INGREDIENTS

2 lb ground beef
1/2 cup minced onion
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
2 (6.5 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
lasagna noodles - # depends on the dish you will use. I used a pyrex dish that fit two lasagna noodles side by side so I used only 4 noodles
16 ounces ricotta cheese
1 egg
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese


DIRECTIONS

Cook the ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Season with basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Once the sauce is done, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water then lay flat.In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
To assemble, spread enough meat sauce in the bottom of a baking dish to cover the bottom of the dish about 1/4 in high. Arrange first layer of noodles lengthwise over meat sauce.
Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Spoon meat sauce over ricotta mixture and sprinkle with a third of the Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers, and top with remaining Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.

YUM YUM!

7 comments:

DebbieDana said...

WOW! Lasagna! That looks sooooooo yummy, it makes me hungry. Your lasagna is mouth watering... It's one of our ( with my husband ) favorites! I might as well cook it one of these days.

Logan is abosolutely sooooo cute in the picture! I noticed, is he left-handed?

Hope you have a great weekend!


Debbie :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you! That is neat that you noticed he does always eat with his left hand! Everything else seems to be right, though, so I am not sure. . .a part of me kind of hopes he is because I am left handed! :)

Jac said...

It really looks so yummy!!! I love lasagna one of my favorite :P. By the way I have a tag for you here http://emotemylife.blogspot.com/2009/08/how-old-is-old.html

Enjoy your weekend :)

Chris said...

Indeed looks great! .. i might need to make that this week :D

Logan does look sooooo cute! Gregory only eats with his left hand too, although neither his dad nor I are left handed. In fact .. he seems to do most things with his left hand other than slapping ... he slaps everything nowadays, with his right hand.

I love the pics.

DethWench said...

I see you blog is closed, but thank you for this great recipe. You have a lovely family!

DethWench said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Thank you so much, I appreciate it!