Breaking news: Joe's nephew's wife had their baby boy (Randall) last night and he has holes in both ears -- the same hole that Logan had in his neck!
Many of you were not readers when I started this blog, so to briefly summarize: Logan was born with what is called a brachial/branchial cleft fistula in his neck. It is a tiny hole that can be found in the neck or ear (the entrance or exit of the sinus tract). It is caused during the sixth week of gestation when our bodies fuse together. When there is an interruption in the process, a hole is left.
Considering that eight people that we know of in Joe's family have this, we assumed there is an actual gene that causes this interruption during the fusing process. However, Logan is the only recipient in Joe's family to have it in his neck (that we know of), so at ten months old he had surgery to close the hole so that there would not be an infection in the future. The ear gets infected as well (and often has for those in Joe's family), but it's more of an annoyance that goes away with antibiotics. Whereas, the neck's worst case scenario is death. . .so even though it would be extremely rare, we didn't want to be worrying about the fistula for the rest of Logan's life (at the time I was already noticing every time it drained fluid and was preoccupied about something going in the hole).
The procedure was simple and painless and successful. Logan never even knew anything unusual happened that day since he was sedated while playing and didn't have any discomfort afterward (no need for pain medication). The scar is hardly noticeable now.
But, during those eight months (we learned about it at Logan's two month check up), I researched what I could. But there still isn't that much information on the web. The information that is there is rather hard for the "average" person to understand. So, I wrote a few posts about it which can be found here.
Anyway, Joe's mom called me tonight because the parents of the newborn couldn't remember the term to tell their pediatrician (because their pediatrician is unfamiliar with BCF). I decided to look up the latest on it (since it's been two years) and was shocked. Shocked that I didn't find this before. Shocked that our pediatrician or ENT never mentioned it. Right here in Omaha, at Boys Town, they have identified a gene that causes a condition known as BOR Syndrome and are looking for people who have this so that they can study the gene more which will then offer treatment for those who have a serious case of BOR Syndrome.
BOR Syndrome is usually only diagnosed when a person has hearing loss or kidney problems. Otherwise, a person may never know they have it. Here is what the article from Boys Town said:
Ear pits are found in about 80% of BOR cases. An ear pit is a small hole immediately in front of the top of the ear. Of those persons with ear pits, some have only one while others have one in front of each ear.
About 60% of the BOR cases have branchial cysts or fistulas which are small holes located on the front, external lower third of the neck. Some of these open into the throat and may drain fluid from time to time. People with branchial cycts or fistualas usually have two (one on each side); however, some only have one. Because they often become infected, branchial cysts or fistulas are often surgically removed.
Kidney anomalies are found in about 15% of those with BOR. Most of the anomalies have minimal clinical significance and consists of minor changes in the anatomy of the kidney or urine collection system. Kidney function is normal in these individuals. Because these persons have no clinical reason to view the kidney/urine collection system, these changes may be more common than we think. More severe kidney anomalies have been reported. These range from small, normal functioning kidneys all the way to the kidneys (one or both) being absent.
BOR is a dominant genetic condition. Genes are found on the chromosomes in the nucleus of each cell. Chromosomes come in pairs (there are two chromosome number "1s", "2s", etc.) and humans have 23 pairs of chromosomes. Each of us received 23 chromosomes (one of each pair) from each parent. Since chromosomes come in pairs, genes also come in pairs. Genes carry the necessary information to cause a single cell, the fertilized egg, to grow into an adult human being. Geneticists estimate that each of us probably have several genes which do not function properly. The scientists call this a mutation (a change in the genetic material). Usually these mutations do not cause problems because the other gene of the pair performs the intended function. However, in dominant genetic conditions it takes only one mutated gene to cause the syndrome.
BOR is caused by the EYA1 gene on chromosome 8. When the family tree of a family with BOR is constructed, you will usually find the syndrome in every generation. When a person with BOR has children, each child has a 1 in 2 chance of receiving the gene which causes BOR.
That gave me shivers to read because it sounds very possible this is the very dominant gene that is being passed on in Joe's family. I am seriously considering contacting our pediatrician to find out if he's familiar with BOR Syndrome and how we learn whether Logan does have this condition and what that means for him. (I might even contact Boys Town since it is right where I live!) As of now, his hearing is excellent and his kidneys have posed no problems, either. As far as we know, there have been no kidney or hearing problems among others in Joe's family, either. But it is something to be aware of for continuing generations.
Thursday, July 1, 2010
BOR Syndrome
at
8:05 PM
Labels: Brachial Cleft Fistula, pits in ears
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Mother with a daughter with BOR... my daughter now 10 was diagnosed at age 5 with BOR syndrome. She has profound hearing loss, ear pits, brancial clefts... she too had surgery to remove the two clefts from her neck which drained often. I was surprised at the limited knowledge on this rare condition. When were planning a visit to a child ENT specialist that had done surgeries to remove the clefts, I was doing my own research. I of course typed in to the search browser, hearing loss and branchial clefts and poof a decsription of my daughters symptoms appeared. When we met with the doctor he was actually shocked when I asked him...do you think she has BOR syndrome. We went ahead with the genetic test to confirm as it will have implications for her when she reaches that point in her life when she may want to start a family. Her hearing loss has been her biggest challenge... she ic completely deaf in her right and has partial hearing in the left and uses an aid for that ear. Fortunately, she has learned speech and can hear some so she does fairly well but as she gets older, her peers seem to be outgrowing her and often she is frustrated with communication difficulties. To date, her kidneys have been fine, but we were told to monitor them. It just seems so funny to me that I have become a teacher for so many physicians that just look at me dumbfounded when I tell them she has BOR... they look at me like "what is that".
I am so happy to have stumbled on this page. I have a 10yr old girl with BOR and understand completely the frustration of no one knowing about it. She was 5 when we finally figured out what she has. She has moderate hearing loos in both ears, had the two clefts (removed) and after 5 years of repeated hospital stays because of UTIs had surgery to correct her dble urters, grade 5 urinary reflux, and hydroneuphrosis. I am trying to figure out if her complete lack of appetite and "geograhpic" tongue are a part of BOR. Best of luck to you all...good to know I am not alone!
Hi! I have been reading through your posts about the brachial cleft and concerns about BOR. My dgt has a brachiel cleft fistula, normal hearing, and some anomalies with her kidneys that is currently being evaluated to see exactly what is going on. I was wondering if you ended up talking to Boys Town about genetic testing, or if you were finally able to see a great MD there who was able to discuss BOR with you. I am running into the same problem as other moms--I am the one who tells the MD about BOR. I need to take my dgt to see someone who knows more about BOR than me. I am very worried about my dgts kidneys, but even our pediatric kidney doctor is not very familier with BOR.
Anonymous, I'm so sorry your daughter is dealing with BOR Syndrome. I hope that by getting more info "out there," more children can escape the issues associated with this! Mary, I'm glad that you found my page! I hope that your daughter is doing okay. Rhonda, Boys Town had to stop their testing due to lack of funds, so we weren't able to get Logan tested to see if he has the gene. We still don't know, but fortunately he hasn't had any other signs aside from the brachial cleft fistula. That is really frustrating that you (and the other moms who posted here) have had to tell the DOCTORS about this! Keep up the great work, though, your children are all lucky to have mothers like you!!!!!
I am so glad that I found this page. My son is 6 months old and is diagnosed with BOR syndrome. We found out at his anatomy scan that there was a missing left kidney (so they thought). They closely monitored Walker the rest of the pregnancy and discovered that his right kidney was fully functioning and he was growing on tract. We were told that he was fine and that the number of people walking around with one kidney was larger than you would think. When Walker was born he had 3 skin tags. One on his left ear and 2 on his neck. I was told that they were nothing and would be removed when he was older. His pediatrician came in to the hospital and knew of the missing kidney and saw "anomalies" on his ear and neck that he wanted to further have examined. After we were released from the hospital we had to report to the pediatricians office the next day. We were told there that he believed that Walker had BOR syndrome. My husband and I had no clue what this was. The doc explained the symptoms and said that the skin tags along with kidney problem formed a syndrome called BOR. He sent us for testing right away. An ultra sound showed that he did have his left kidney, it was just in his pelvis and after more testing on the kidney if functioned fine. We saw an ENT who said that the skin tags were not attached to anything in his neck and ears and could easily be removed. He also has his hearing in both ears. The next part was NOT what I had read. Walkers pediatrician called a genetics doc for consult who asked him to get an xray of his spine. The genetics doc said that he's seen deformities in the spine that comes along with BOR. We had the xray done and sure enough one of his vertebraes was misshaped and the doc said that he didn't think it would affect his growth. We have an appt to see the genetics doc next week to have a little more explanation of everything going on. My son has BOR and I'm very thankful that it appears to be a mild case. No one in our family has kidney, ear or neck issues. This may be a spontaneous mutation? I don't know, I've been pretty much a wreck since he was born. I'm so thankful to have found this page..
Walker's Mommy, I'm so glad that my blog was there for you! Thank you for sharing your story. The spine info was news to me; we learn the most by hearing/reading others' experiences, for sure! I am sending cyberhugs your way, as I am sorry that your 6 month old has this but am glad that it is a mild case and hopefully everything will go smoothly!!!! It sounds like you have an excellent pediatrician (or at least one who knows his stuff) so that has to be comforting that your little guy is in good hands.
Post a Comment